Sunday 18 August 2013

Life on the North Bank

People always talk about the south bank of the river thames, and quite rightly so, it’s a great place. But I’d like to give a special mention to the North Bank, along which I walk to work every day, and have become familiar with the goings on. It has its own wildlife and inhabitants, here’s a description of some:







Ipod tramp. Now I haven’t seen this chap in quite a while, hopefully he’s been picked up and placed in a more comfortable home, but I used to see him every day. He was usually asleep on the bench in the morning, but more awake in the afternoon. He looked like he slept rough in every way, apart from the ipod. I always wondered how he charged it, and how he loaded music on it – It was one of life’s great mysteries.

Camping man. Now I don’t think camping man is homeless, as he has a proper nice tent, and a bike. I think he just lives next to Blackfriars bridge at night in a tent. I’ve failed to get a photograph so far, but next time.....

The two elders. I love these guys, they make me feel like I’m in a little village in France. They are usually found on the North Bank when it’s a nice sunny afternoon, by the lavender beds. There will be a radio on with the cricket playing, and they have flasks of coffee and a picnic. The two of them are usually reading the paper, and not acknowledging each other at all, completely chilled out in each other’s presence.

The boxers. These two are morning people, and can be found just underneath the millennium bridge, hitting each other with boxing gloves. I believe they’re training, and not trying to kill each other.

And lastly the Ducks. The ducks love the North bank, and are often found sunbathing in the morning on the river wall.





I really like the North bank of the Thames, and despite the trashing it regularly gets, someone really looks after it. There’s lavender planted all the way round, and a park area with seating has recently opened (Sadly it’s often littered with empty bottles and cans). I really recommend a wander down the North Bank sometime.





No comments:

Post a Comment