Tuesday 21 January 2014

Exploring Shakespeare's Globe

One of the first performances I saw at the Globe was Timon of Athens. People were dressed as birds and bungee-ing into the groundlings, and running along nets suspended across the top of the theatre. That was it. I was in love. Since then I've seen a man's eyes been cut out, flirted with Mercutio, had Mark Rylance's cloak thrown over me in Richard III, avoided the cannon in Henry VIII, giggled a lot in Merry Wives, been rained on several times, and drunk some marvellous sangria from the Swan bar (which definitely has some magical mind/body numbing qualities, making All's Well that Ends Well a warm blur).

Once, under the influence of swine flu and Matthew Kelly, I fainted at a midnight performance of Troilus and Cressida. I was spirited away to the first aid room and revived, and spent most of the performance sitting outside watching scantily dressed soldiers run in and out the globe.

A fellow Shakepeare follower and I went along and watched both parts of Henry IV back to back, drinking a bottle of wine in between plays on the Tate Modern lawn. We then spent the first half of part two eating the most enormous hog roast sandwiches. You can't do that in the West End. I've sat (although not yet on the top floor) and I've been a groundling. Yes I can safely say that this is my perfect theatre, and one of my favourite places in London. It has been a different experience every time I walked through those doors, and I've had so much fun there.

So just before Christmas, I went on the Heaven to Hell Backstage Tour. The tour is run during the winter (while the Globe is closed) for members and their guests. It's £20 a head, so not cheap, but really worth it. You get to see everywhere. We went to the top, under the stage, and even got to see the prop store and costumes fridge. I haven't posted photos of everything as I don't want to spoil the surprise.

The view from the heavens

The view out onto the stage (I was very excited at this point!)
The beautiful Ceiling 

The balcony. 

At the end of the tour we were given a sneak peek at the new Sam Wanamaker Playhouse. Now I hadn't given the theatre much thought before. The Globe is perfect, why would you need another one, especially indoors like all the other theatres. I was so wrong. It is the most beautiful little theatre I've ever seen (and I haven't seen it lit by candles yet!) I haven't got tickets for this season (it's mostly sold out) but I cannot wait for the next season, I'll be first in line! The tour ended with a cup of tea and biscuits, and after a couple of hours of exploring every inch of the Globe, it was well deserved. 

Booking has already opened for members for the Globe theatre, and opens to the public early February. Tickets can be booked here:

There's really no excuse not to go, as tickets start at £5 for a Groundling (standing) ticket. For £5 you get the best 'seat' in the house, and often end up as part of the play, or being harassed by actors. The seats are really reasonable too, and you can laugh at the Groundlings, and pity them when it rains. 

My second favourite place in London is the Swan at the Globe Restaurant, conveniently next door! I really recommend their Sunday Roasts, sit back, eat wonderful food and watch the clippers racing up and down the Thames. 




No comments:

Post a Comment